This road is not pretty anymore. For about 12 hours last week it was absolutely beautiful – snow covered everything, and the trees were coated with a thick layer of hoar frost, which happens when wet fog descends and its water droplets freeze onto trees and mailboxes and signposts like the fuzzy ice that grows on condensed lemonade cans in the back of the freezer. The world was in white and black but seemed to reflect a million colors from the sun, as if the glitter and googly-eyes aisle from Jo-Ann Fabrics had exploded all over I-83. Driving by, you could almost hear the tinkling and jingling of icy, perfect snow crystals as the heat from the sun locked them all together, melding them to every single thing in sight, like glaze in a kiln. Then, on that day, this road was pretty.
Now, it’s like something out of a Great Depression documentary. It’s not white and black but grey and brown with plowed snow and churned up salt. The clouds have blotted out the sun, taking away that lightbulb radiance from the sky and replacing it with some washed out florescent equivalent. Every now and then there is a glimmer of that beauty this road wore so serenely just last week – through the bent and broken trees, bowed and cracked by the weight of 45 inches of snow, a hill lies untouched by plows or sleds, and over there is a car no one shoveled free of it’s terrible prison, perfectly domed and pristine. “Somebody’s unemployed,” I thought, as I looked at that car, almost jealous. I don’t know why, since I just spent the majority of 2009 lying in a festering pool of my own abject unemployment, begging the working world to take me back. It finally did, and now I am one of these hideous, salt-colored cars lined up to merge into the one lane Baltimore City bothered to plow on this four lane interstate. We are waiting in the highway soup line, wondering if we’ll make it through the green light before traffic slams the door shut in our faces.
Whatever. At least I’m not at work. And thank God tomorrow is Saturday. I’ll sleep until noon, not because I want to or because I can, but because I have to. I can’t erase the week otherwise. I have realized, if set my alarm for 30 minutes before I have to get up and if I hit the snooze six times in a row, it’s a little easier to get up on work days. I have also realized if I use that last 5 minutes before 7 a.m. to remind myself that my day is going to be horrible, I can handle it.
This has been the worst week of my working life. Ice dams in the gutters of the condominium complex where I work have forced running, melting water in through the windows, walls, ceilings, and up through the carpets of almost 72 units, causing untold water damage and unholy mildew growth. Now that things have begun to melt a little, glassy icicles seven feet long are hanging over every doorway like claws, and three-inch thick frozen waterfalls have adhered themselves to the siding. The Complex looks and feels like it’s being eaten by an enormous ice monster - one that wraps its victims in a white sheath before liquefying its insides, like a spider. The phone in the site manager’s office is ringing off the hook. People call me every day to let me know their ceiling is falling down and beg me to do something about it. They have packed up their children and moved into hotel rooms, which they expect us to pay for after we’ve fixed their leak damage for free. They are demanding appointments with the contractors we brought in, denying us access to their units when they are not home, and blaming every issue they’ve ever had on the embarrassing rain dance we have the gall to put forth as property management. I am the assistant to an emotionally stunted site manager and a skeleton crew of El Salvadorians trying to steer this ship away from an iceberg it has already hit. It is not going well.
No comments:
Post a Comment