Someone once told me that the thing you do when the new year hits is the thing you will do that entire year. Therefore I am glad I was sleeping instead of puking out my guts, which is what I was doing for 4 hours before the new year. Was it a migraine? Was it food poisoning? Was it the thing that everybody is getting? I don't know. But I felt wonky driving home, laid down for half an hour, and then life was just awful. An eternity of awful. I always forget just how outrageously terrible throwing up is. Every second is a thousand years of pain and nausea. And it ALWAYS RUINS MY PLANS. I'd rather be sick on Christmas.
At least my first conscious action in the new year was to self assess - "phone is ringing...am I sick? What hurts?....nothing. Ok, sit up a little....nothing. I think I'm good. Walk around. We're ok. It's over." I looked at the time and it was 12:05. So if my friend of years past was correct in any way, and the thing you do as the new year hits is the thing you do all year, I'll be realizing over and over again that I'm ok. I can live with that, even if I didn't get to drink champagne with my friends.
Once the worst was over and I was hanging out with CS waiting for my parents to get home from their friends' house (party animals), he said "you look really pretty, though!" which is very sweet to say to someone who just very violently eliminated every bit of sustenance from her innards. Is it brash to say I actually did look kind of pretty? Is that weird? My skin gets all pale when I'm sick and my eyes get really bright and glassy, and sweat forced out of my pores by the strength of my dry heaves humidifies the air around my head and my hair curls right up like some freckled kid on a beach in the summer. The end effect is the kind of thing I would spend hours trying to achieve with curlers and makeup, if I ever took the time to do my hair or makeup. I've been wondering whether this is a silver lining to being sick and I have decided it is not. I'd rather be well and hideous than sick and attractive. Looking pretty as a byproduct of extreme illness is kind of like losing everything you own in a fire and collecting the insurance money.
Watching sports today with mom, dad, and CS (who is now officially a computer scientist and already has a job offer - happy graduation, CS!), I have realized that commercials really love to use Vampire Weekend's music, and Vampire Weekend has no qualms about selling out to commercials. It has made me not really enjoy Vampire Weekend anymore. I feel like I knew about Vampire Weekend before lots of other people did, but I don't like to say things like that because it sounds snobby. But really, Oxford Comma and Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa and A-punk were on my shuffle playlists years ago. Now I don't want to listen to them because all I see are Subarus and GPSs.
More later, maybe. Gonna go call all the people who need calling. Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment